Friday, January 4, 2013

Pillow Talk


One of my favorite parts of the day is "tuck in time."  I KNOW my kids are 12 and 15 but we still love these conversations at the end of the day. Unless I am reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally tired, I wouldn't miss these times for all of the world. Sometimes the tuck in can take over an hour!

John loves to cuddle and talk over his day. In fact, he loves to ask ME about MY day! Nearly every single night he asks me What was your favorite part of the day, Mom? We still read together most nights before kissing good night, then on to pillow talk!
What kinds of things do I ask him?

What are you proud of from today?
What do you like to dream about?
What are some things you would change about the world?
What should we do about global warming?
Who is your hero? Why?
What would you do if you were the president?
What are you proud of about yourself?  Your sister?
How would you describe me in three words?
How would you describe your family?
If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be?
What, about you, makes you the most proud?
Who is the kindest person you know? Why?
What do you like most about your best friend?
What would you do if you could change the world?
John
What would you say if someone teased you about being an atheist?
What is one thing you would like to learn to do well?
If you were an animal what one would you be and why?
What secret kindnesses can you to tomorrow for someone?
If you could invent a game, what would it be like?
When is the last time someone hurt your feelings? How did you react?
If you could trade places with someone for a day, who would it be?
How are you a good friend?
If you could be an animal, what would it be?
What do you think is true wisdom?
When do you feel misunderstood by grown-ups?
What three words best describe you?
What made you angry today?
What do you think will happen next in our book?
What’s the best compliment you ever received?
Who would you cast in your favorite movie?

...things l like this.

He LOVES to think creatively and enjoys these conversations immensely. And so do I! When it is time for me to finally leave the room, he usually clings to my sleeve and says, "Pleeeeease, just five more minutes..."


Lizzie
Then I move over to my daughter's room.
We talk about her writing, her moods, her friends, her songs, things that strike her as funny or confusing or intriguing...
...things like that.

She LOVES to talk about life and relationships and she enjoys these conversations immensely. And so do I!  When it's time for me to finally leave the room, she usually clings to my sleeve and says, "Pleeeeeease, just five more minutes..."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you liked this post, you might try this one:
Why Do We Learn?

5 comments:

  1. This is some list! The one outstanding part of homeschooling--sometimes the one thing that I cling to when I feel inadequate--is our conversation. It is so much deeper, more spontaneous, more frequent now that we spend most of each day near one another. I will be visiting this list a lot for beginnings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Jennifer. I agree.
      If I judged the kids by memorization I would be freaking out every day. But when I have conversations with them, I KNOW they are getting wiser every day!
      We hold the neatest conversations....

      If you have creative kids, always ask them what is going on in their heads because they will AMAZE YOU!

      Delete
    2. Also, this list is just some of the conversations we have had recently! I WISH my brain worked well enough to remember EVERYTHING. <3

      Delete
  2. I really like your list of questions! And this kind of routine becomes even more important when kids are in their teens. My teens and I seem to have our best conversations in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely -- in the car and on walks. Those circumstances are idea generators!

      Delete

Leave a comment!