Wednesday, March 23, 2016

If No One Ever Read My Blog

atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent 

I don't know who reads my blog. I can see statistics and things, but who really reads it? And why? Who would follow this blog? I've never followed another blog. 

Even without knowing the answers to these questions still I write again and again, a couple of times a week, and I have done so for over six years. I heat up my PC, grab something to drink, and start typing about what's on my mind. I share my heart, my mind, my doubts, my celebrations, the intimacy of my life.


But I wonder about this blog. If more people read My Own Mind blog would it be considered successful? If fewer people read the blog would it be considered unsuccessful? Would I define success as other bloggers do? Do I care about numbers of readers? I can tell you that, in some ways I do care when people read my blog posts when people leave comments; I care very much. It humbles me to know that people read my blog and receive connection.

Those few blog posts I've written that have had hundreds of thousands of views are the exceptions. Nearly all of my blog posts go by quietly and in obscurity. But I know that some readers and friends visit here regularly.


I got to thinking, what if no one read my blog, 
would I still write it?

Yes. 
I started writing the blog completely for myself and I still do, mostly. I started writing here because there were so many things that I couldn't write on Facebook, important and unimportant things that I felt that I had to keep to myself. Things that much of the world would actually condemn. I love having this blog  I do love having the eyes and hearts of people, even for a moment. But the important part of my blog for me is a reminder of what I celebrate each day with my kids. If not for this blog I know that I would forget so many things...this way I have a lovely journal of moments that my mind wouldn't otherwise hold onto. 

Of course I write the posts on atheist parenting and homeschool parenting and whatnot, but even those posts have special meaning for me. I write things that I wish I would have been able to read when I've needed it and it wasn't available to me. But my blog has more meaning to me.

And I've met some amazing people through this blog.

And of course and fame and fortune are nice. 
Keep reading, OK?

2 comments:

  1. I read it! I'm a mom of two homeschooled boys in CA. I've homeschooled for almost 9 years, since they were 3 and 5. I'm not 'out' as an athiest and appreciate what you have to say here, saying out loud what I think but can't post on Facebook without offending a lot of my Christian friends... You give me an outlet for it. I found you quite by accident, I have a google alert for homeschool and your blog came up! Thought you might like to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love reading your blog! I have two girls, ages 1 and 4, and I want to homeschool. In my area, the only existing homeschool group requires a signed statement of faith, which I cannot bring myself to do. I feel that I lack support from some members of my family, and your blog reminds me it is possible to raise well adjusted kids, while homeschooling without religion.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!